December 24, 2007

Liz Gives an Update on Yudhi, The Baliense Musician

Quoted from Elizabeth Gilbert on December 19, 2007 on NPRs "Talk of the Nation"


"Yudhi is a character in the book who I met when I was in Indonesia who was an Indonesian guy who had come to the United States and overstayed his visa and then married his true love who was also from Connecticut and then ended up getting deported by Homeland Security.

"He's still living in Indonesia. He and his wife have separated, and I think he's probably not coming back to the United States any time soon...if ever, . It's a very sad story. He's doing well. I mean, he's relaxing into his destiny, I guess I can say it that way.

I've seen him a couple of times since then I've been back and he's got a nice Indonesian girlfriend and he's playing music and he's doing well, but there's a hole in his heart the size and shape of Manhattan....That's a place in the world that he loved the most, and I don't think he'll ever get to see it again."